Monday, February 14, 2011

More thinging with references

I had never used Diigo before today. I think that the potential is quite amazing. The ability to annotate a webpage and keep a record of the first thoughts seems very powerful. I am interested to know how such a thing would work on a blog entry. I presume the best way to preserve the information is to open the blog entry into a separate window/tab and then save and annotate that. I noticed that the highlight and capture function didn't seem to work as on PDF documents opened on the page, but one could save the link. I haven't even scratched the surface of what Diigo might be able to do. I already use X-marks pretty well, so my bookmarks can be transferred from machine to machine, but a really like the additional functionality of highlighting and capturing.

I looked at Endnote web and found its slowness frustrating, but I gather it may be a technical hitch. Thus I intend to come back to it at a later date and try it out again.

Zotero I really liked as well. This tool is very much research focused and I found it interesting that it can harvest metadata from the websites that are compatible with it. I searched for books on the Millennium OPAC and could create citations straight up. I found that certain websites sites couldn't be harvested and I needed to input the metadata manually, which is very much tedious and I think potentially problematic for users.

A very much informative session of thinging this week. I will certainly have recourse to these resources in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment