Monday, February 21, 2011

More thinging with pictures of things from Flickr

photo by Jametiks.

Were we thinking of library refurbishment? Just an idea, eh. No... oh well, I tried.

Seriously though, Flickr is another of the social media that I have strenuously avoided til now, which is why I am on the 23 things course. All of these things are great as far as they go and have their application for the library. I suppose marketing and promotion are where these media are most at home. As a private individual I can also see the advantage of sharing photos through Flickr rather than exchanging CDs, DVDs etc.

Creative Commons is very interesting and I found this the most fascinating aspect. It goes to show that intellectual property is very much more fictional than other forms of property. The 'rebellion' against copyright for intellectual content demonstrates to some extent the absurd nature intellectual property. People still 'produce' the content without the demand for money. Attribution is key of course and using the content within the scope of permission. Justice demands that we do not break copyright lawfully imposed. But still, I'm glad to know that 'free' content is available and profit and self interest are not the dominate motives in the production of the content.

YouTube


Ah the happy (or is that unhappy) hours spent on YouTube. I think this is a powerful tool and a great danger as with all social media. Still I think the benefits of YouTube outweigh any negative aspects and they are fairly self-evident, as YouTube EDU demonstrates.

No comments:

Post a Comment